I always thought of myself as a creative person, even long before I became a…
GEEK PEEK: MY NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION
In 2017, I set a New Year’s Resolution. The very first resolution I have ever kept and accomplished. (Let’s not worry about how old I am. Let’s just appreciate anyone who continues to work on self-improvement.)
Did you know that 80% of resolutions fail by February? Isn’t that crazy? So it was kind of a big deal that I actually kept this one.
Want to know what my resolution was?
I set a goal to READ A BOOK every two months. I ended up reading 23 books last year! It’s especially remarkable because in the past, whenever I would sit down to read a book, I would fall asleep. This goal was really going to be a challenge for me. But I did it. And I have learned a lot.
I promised that I would share some of the nuggets I learned from each book, and so here’s to my new series called Geek Peek, where I talk about them one-by-one. There’s not a dog on the list. I can’t wait to tell you about them all!
(Full disclosure for anyone looking for a juicy romance novel: There’s no fluff here. They were mostly self-improvement or business related books. But I still think you’re going to like them.)
If you’ve read any of them, I would love to hear what you learned or what you thought about them too. And if you have any that you think I should add to my list for 2018, let me know.
GeekPeek features books I’ve read that I think you might like. See my 2017 list below.
2017 LIST (author’s name listed first)
1. Bryan Collins, The Power of Creativity: A Series for Writers, Artists, Musicians and Anyone In Search of Great Ideas [Read my post about this book here.]
2. Gerry Robert, Multiply Your Business
5. Gary Vaynerchuk, Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World
6. Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy, Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want Audio Book: Living Forward.
8. Jen Sincero, You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life Audio Book: You Are a Badass. [Read my post about this book coming soon.]
10. Michael E. Gerber, The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It Audio Book: The E-Myth Revisited.
11. Brene Brown, Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead Audio Book: Daring Greatly.
12. Jon Acuff, Do Over: Make Today the First Day of Your New Career Audio Book: Do Over. [Read my post about this book here.]
13. Simon Sinek, Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action Audio Book: Start with Why.
16. Gary Vaynerchuk, Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion Audio Book: Crush It!
18. Timothy Ferris, The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich Audio Book: The 4-Hour Workweek.
20. Andrew Doughty, Hawaii The Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook
22. Leatrice Eiseman, Color – Messages & Meanings: A PANTONE Color Resource